Here's the deal about SUP Windsurf Crossover boards. Stand up and windsurfing are two entirely different sports. Windsurfing is very technical, and compared to SUP paddle boarding, very difficult to learn. You can learn to stand up paddle board in about 20 minutes. Becoming comfortable on a windsurf board may take an entire summer. To become an accomplished all around windsurfer can take years.
Many stand up paddle boards are designed to be windsurfed. You'll know that they are windsurfer SUP crossovers because you'll see a mast track on the center of the deck. It'll look like a 10"-12" slit.
Experienced windsurfers that want to SUP on both flat water and surf along with windsurfing their SUP board will find that Amundson Aquaglide paddle board is perfect for certain conditions:
- Small wave SUP surfing (head-high and below)
- When the winds are too strong for SUP.
- When the winds get really high you need to be on a short board. The window that these WIndsurf SUP crossover boards work is between approximately 8 to 18 mph.
- The SUP windsurf crossover boards on a lake are good for close reaches, beam reaches and broad reaches.
- Amundson Aquaglide SUP boards are great in surf.
PHOTO: Randall rippin' it up on the Pacifico Mistral on Lake Yellowstone, in Mary's Bay.