- The sensation of walking on water feels so good, you'll forget you’re working out. It's easy to stick to a fitness routine when you enjoy it.
- It’s super-efficient. You'll work almost every muscle in your body simultaneously. Not only that, you can get your cardio, endurance, and strength training done in one fun hour while outside enjoying nature.
- It's good for the mind as well as the body. Standing on a board that’s floating on a living body of water creates a connection with nature that helps to put trivial concerns in perspective.
- No membership fees! The cost of a board and paddle is one-time only. And if you want to try the sport before investing in your own gear, many shops offer affordable rentals.
- It's outstanding cross training for many other activities. The strength, core and cardiovascular benefits translate very well into sports like tennis, golf, and swimming.
- It's highly adaptable and accessible to people of almost every age and fitness level. Because it’s non-impact, it’s even open to people who have injuries. Rest assured though, that accessibility does not equate to lack of challenge. Intensity can be adjusted to whatever level you choose. Dial up the volume by paddling hard and fast or, if you’re in the mood for a mellow workout, just cruise.
- It's easy! You’ll have the basics down within your first few sessions – all you need to have lots of fun and get a great workout.
- There are lots of opportunities to take the sport further. Races are being organized all around the country. Industry experts expect SUP to be an Olympic sport within the near future. If you like variety, try a stand up paddle boot camp or yoga class.
- If you're looking for proof, there are many celebrities who provide inspiring examples of what stand up paddling can do for your body: Christie Brinkley, Jennifer Anniston, Kate Hudson, Matthew Morrison, and Matthew McConaughey, to name a few.
- Last but not least, there’s a slogan that’s featured on a top-selling poster by leading stand up paddle manufacturer, Quickblade, “You know that GROSSED-OUT feeling you get when you go to use a piece of equipment at the gym, and it's covered with someone else's sweat? I don't.”
Monday, January 10, 2011
Stand Up Paddling - A SUPer Way to Meet Fitness Goals For 2011
I know we're preaching to the choir here but if any of your friends and family are looking for a fun yet effective way to meet fitness goals in 2011, here are 10 reasons why stand up paddling (SUP) is a fantastic choice: